With concerns about climate change rising across the entire world, it’s no surprise the global refurbished PC market size is projected to grow by 6.8% between 2020 and 2027. And that’s excellent news, considering that electronic waste is increasing at an unsustainable rate around the world.
Every single refurbished device you buy frees up much-needed landfill space, and contributes to our planet’s well-being and sustainability. So if you’re interested in going green with your back-to-school tech, choosing a refurbished laptop, modem, or phone should be on the top of your list.
Read on to learn how you can reduce your carbon footprint and help protect our precious planet with sustainable technology!
What are refurbished devices?
Refurbished devices are previously owned products that are returned to the manufacturer. They undergo a refurbishing process that can involve anything from a simple paint job to a full hardware overhaul. Some refurbished devices are practically brand-new, while others have been used for years on end. And the amount of wear and tear is often reflected in the price.
Some of the most common refurbished devices are:
- IoT devices such as doorbell cameras
- Smart watches
Why should you buy a refurbished device?
Although some people look at refurbished electronics negatively, as long as you do your research before making a purchase, you’ll be doing yourself—and the planet—a favor by choosing sustainable back-to-school tech.
Here are just a few of the great reasons you should consider buying refurbished devices this back-to-school season:
- They can save your wallet along with the environment. Refurbished devices can be up to 50% cheaper than brand new products!
- You’ll make a difference by using less resources. Did you know an iPhone 7 emits 10% more carbon than an iPhone 6? 85 to 95% of this higher carbon footprint is due to the mining process: New phones use freshly-mined minerals—and cause more indirect harm to the environment.
- You’ll help save space in landfills. A whopping 65,000 tons of cell phones become electronic garbage every year in the US. This is also a great reason to learn to repair your old devices on your own.
- Your customers will respect your commitment to the environment. If you’re a small business owner venturing into the e-commerce world, showing solidarity with the environment is a great way to attract eco-friendly customers. In fact, 75% of people surveyed in a study by AnalyticsIQ said they preferred eco-friendly brands as long as the price wasn’t higher than regular products.
How to shop the best refurbished back-to-school tech
When it’s time to head to the store (or open up your browser) to shop the latest in sustainable technology, there are a few important things you should know. First and foremost, there are some refurbished items that experts agree you should avoid. Hard drives, TVs, and printers are at the top of the list.
However, there are plenty of other refurbished items that hold up well and are just as reliable as their brand-new counterparts. As long as you buy your items from a reputable store—preferably one that offers a warranty—you’re doing the environment and your bank account a favor.
Here are some of the most reliable refurbished items you can buy this back-to-school season.
Even though modems can last up to ten years if maintained properly, you may want to consider upgrading if you’ve noticed your connection isn’t what it used to be. By opting to go the sustainable route with your next modem purchase, you can stream, chat, and surf the web at our incredible speeds of up to 940 Mbps* without old hardware holding you back!
Since some older modems are built more reliably than newer models, a refurbished one might be exactly what you need to bring your family’s internet up to speed. If you’re renting a modem and you opt to replace it with sustainable technology instead, follow this simple guide to return your old hardware to us.
*Speed may not be available in your area.
These days, laptops are practically a back-to-school essential. Buying a refurbished model is a great way to save another perfectly good laptop from sitting in a landfill. Also, you’ll have the chance to get your hands on some high-end tech at an awesome price.
Many refurbished laptops haven’t even been heavily used. A lot of them are:
- Gifts that were removed from the box but never even turned on.
- Store display models.
- Perfectly good machines that simply have a few scratches on the case.
- Cancelled orders for custom machines.
So if you’re looking for an upgrade—or you want your kid to stand out and climb to the top of the class with a cutting-edge new device this fall—consider going with a refurbished, environmentally-friendly laptop.
Refurbished cell phones are another great sustainable technology option for environmentally conscious parents and students. Since there’s such a high demand for them, many retailers have developed rigorous testing programs to ensure their refurbished phones are as good as new. If you’re shopping for a refurbished iPhone, for example, you can usually get the latest model for the same price (or even cheaper) than a brand-new device from last year. And with over 130 million cell phones thrown away annually, every single eco-friendly purchase makes a difference!
The future is bright with sustainable technology
By shopping for refurbished tech this back-to-school season, you can help preserve our beautiful planet and work towards a better, more sustainable future. And if you make the switch to a refurbished laptop or modem when it’s time to go back to school, your new device will perform better than ever with up to 99.9% reliability^. Head over to our blog to learn more ways you can stay eco-friendly while heading back to school in confidence!
^Based on network uptime or availability.